Seeking more happiness in your life? The one thing I’ve found that creates feelings of contentment and delight for me is to follow this one rule:
Do something you love every day.
It seems like a no-brainer. But these days, we are often so busy with work, family obligations, financial struggles, and other daily stressors that we forget to make time for the things that bring us joy. But it doesn’t have to complicated. My personal favorites, in no particular order are:
- Enjoying a leisurely breakfast.
- Sipping a cup of coffee in my favorite mug.
- Reading a book at a cafe.
- Playing pickup volleyball at the park.
- Singing in the shower.
- Hugging my nephews.
- Watching cat videos on Facebook.
Like I said, it doesn’t have to be difficult or extravagant and it doesn’t have to take much time out of your day. Here’s how you can get started:
- Make a list of 10-20 things that bring you joy or make you smile. These can be activities, objects, living beings, etc.
- Choose one item to add to your daily routine. Perhaps you take an extra moment during your walk to work to appreciate the sunlight or nature or you pause before you head out the door to tell your kids or spouse how much you love them. It should light you up a little on the inside!
Keep the list around so that you can choose a random item on days when you have more time. For bigger benefits, keep a journal. You can look back on it and remember why enjoyed it so much. It will make you that much more likely to do it again soon!
What will you choose to add to your daily routine? Share it in the COMMENTS below and be sure to share this blog with a friend who can use a little happiness boost!